Thursday, August 28, 2014

Princess = Privilege? I think not.

I just watched a movie - Sydney White.  Based on the Snow White story.  A 'modern retelling' of the legend.  Girl goes to college, pledges to a sorority, gets kicked out because of spite and realizes that vanity is an evil to not divulge in.  But what now?

She moves in with a seven-member gang of misfits.  A group of non-conformists.  But not non-conformists per say - just dorks who don’t fit in.

And I sigh.  That was me.  I was that dork.  Despite the pretty exterior, I am that dork.  I still am that dork.  And why on earth am I told that that is something wrong?  That I am wrong?  That what I am is wrong, and yet, I am that dork that is exemplified in the movies?  That pretty girl that loves the dorky guys?  That the dorky guys love?  That is friends with them, and because of that, leads them on?  When in fact, I really just love them as people and have wanted only to be their friend, yet am burdened with ruining another person's life due to my unreturned advances?

And a princess?  My goodness, I hate what a princess has turned into.  Cinderella - the girl who was a servant, and very humbly too.  She cleaned, served....and sang while she did it.  She sacrificed herself for others.  Snow White - again, a humble, sincere, sweet individual.  Naive, but never self-serving.  Sleeping Beauty - giving, generous, and concerned with the well-being of others.  Where have these princess qualities gone?  Why is our sense of entitlement so high?  As North Americans, we have so much.  And yet, we crave so much.  We are guilty of greed.  Let us listen to the true message of the Disney princess.  Self-sacrifice.  Honesty.  Trust.  Compassion.  And love.  Yes, above all, love.

No comments:

Post a Comment